Thursday, May 19, 2011

It's Here!

J and I picked up our first box of produce today, and I couldn't be happier with it.  The box (which is supposedly small because it is early in the season) has a lot of beautiful veggies for us.  

It contains red and green leaf lettuce, arugula, radishes, button mushrooms, asparagus, rhubarb, chives, and green garlic.  As you can imagine, this box is mostly going to be used for salads, as it was tonight.  As I was preparing the salad, I could not help but be excited about it.  I was washing dirt off the lettuce, not pesticides.  It's a good feeling :-)

Tipi Produce sends out a newsletter with ideas about what to do with each week's produce.  One suggested recipe for this week was homemade chive and green garlic salad dressing.  The recipe was simple (1 tablespoon of chives, 1 teaspoon green garlic, 1/2 cup of lowfat buttermilk, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, 1 tablespoon mayo and salt to taste.)  It was a good start, but I imagine we will be tweaking this recipe as the summer goes on. 


I am hoping to make a rhubarb pie tomorrow and hopefully doing something with the asparagus and mushrooms soon.  I'll eat both, but I'm not normally a huge fan of either.  Any suggestions?

6 comments:

  1. Hey! Love the new blog :o)
    Sounds like some yummy veggies to start off with. I love using fresh mushrooms in a beef stroganoff. Here's a recipe from a blog I really like http://www.lynnskitchenadventures.com/2008/06/ground-beef-stroganoff.html. For asparagus, I just LOVED eating it as a kid with a good Hollandaise sauce like my mom made (splurge since it has butter in it). Like the one here at all recipes http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Hollandaise-Sauce-501/Detail.aspx

    Enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Tracey. Chris really likes stroganoff at restaurants, but I've never made it for him. (Vegetarian tendencies have "won" I guess). This would be a good opportunity to try making it. The recipe looks pretty easy. Thanks for sharing it and the Hollandaise sauce one too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We, too, are first timers with Tipi. We opted for the every other week options, so we won't get our first box until next week. Looking forward to sharing ideas and recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We love the mushrooms quick-sauteed in a stir fry.(Our favorite is a take on the Japanese Pan Noodles from Noodles and Co.) Joshua calls them "candy-mushrooms" when they're served that way, though I'm not sure why.
    I can't help you out with the asparagus, I have yet to find a way that I enjoy it, I'll keep checking your comments to see if someone suggests something I haven't tried. My kids will eat a bit raw, but we usually just make someone else's day and pass it along to friends that like it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE asparagus! Try a soup! I'll see if there is a link for my recipe or else I'll type it out if I get the chance. Also, do you follow Ree Drummond's blog? Her food is SINFUL. Here is a link to her asparagus ideas and they look good. I especially think that gruyere/asparagus tart looks fantastic! http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2011/05/web-deliciousness-asparagus/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Andy-Welcome! I hope we both have good experiences with Tipi this year; so far we LOVE it! Hope you enjoy your first box and I look forward to your ideas and recipes. :)

    Liz-It's been awhile since I've had the Japanese Pan Noodles; is there a certain sauce that you use? Thanks for the suggestion!

    Stef-I've never had asparagus soup; I'll give it a try if you get a chance to send a link. Ooh, the gruyere/asparagus tart sounds really promising; actually a lot of the asparagus recipes/pictures on her page look good. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete