Thursday, May 26, 2011

Loving Tipi After Week 1


We have successfully finished most of our produce from the first week and we have plans for the few items that remain.  It doesn't look like anything will be going to waste, which is definitely a goal we have while we are participating in the CSA (and in general).  We did this by using the ingredients in dishes we already eat and by trying some new recipes.  Thanks to all who have shared ideas so far; here are some more:

We bought a rotisserie chicken the other night, which we used with some of the vegetables for two meals.  The first night, we had a salad with mixed greens, chicken, craisins, almond slices and Asian sesame dressing.  Mandarin oranges would also be a nice touch to this dish.

The next day we used the leftover chicken to make chicken salad sandwiches (olive oil mayo, green garlic, chives, and craisins).  I suppose we could have used lettuce here too, but we opted not too.

On Wednesday, I tried a recipe for "Crispy Asparagus."  I had been looking for several days for a way to make a "dried snack food" out of the asparagus.  This recipe was pretty much the only one I was able to find (it was one of many asparagus recipes on a link that Stef submitted.)  While it worked okay, I don't think that I will be making it again.  The recipe calls for blanching the asparagus in salty water, which I thought made the final product taste too salty.  Ironically, while I was cutting up the asparagus, I found out that I actually like it raw; it reminds me of fresh green beans.  I guess that I have only had it cooked before (and not to my liking).  With that said, we will still be trying some new recipes.  We got a new bundle of asparagus today and I already picked up the ingredients for the "Gruyere/Asparagus Tart" that Stef pointed out.

Today was perhaps my favorite new meal so far.  We had thin spaghetti with "Arugula Pesto" and it was delicious!  I would strongly recommend this recipe.  We were able to use the arugula and green garlic from the box.  The recipe calls for 6 cloves of garlic.  We just cut off a piece about 4 fingers wide from each stalk of green garlic instead and then proceeded as the directions suggested.  That seemed to work well.  Everyone in the family liked it; including J.

No comments:

Post a Comment